Wednesday, February 29, 2012

THE JOB HUNT - URBN Inc.

I'm always on the job hunt.... I'm always looking for new ways to improve myself and climb that tiresome professional ladder. I recently applied for the Merchant Leadership Program at URBN Inc, which essentially filters into a buying position at headquarters. I'm still waiting for a reply back, but I had to say that the application was challenging, but very rewarding. If anything, I've gotten tremendous experience by just completing my app. Plus it was fun to do!

Lifestyle is THE main objective for the URBN brands (Urban Outfitters, Free People and Anthropologie). I specifically applied for the Free People segment of the MLP program, mostly because I enjoy shopping there... I am the demographic and I feel that I am a good example of that lifestyle.... I digress. I'm really proud of the work I put in, and for curiosity sake I'd love some feed back. So comment away on what I like to call the "Inspiration Installation" portion of my application!

The whole application was about 5 pages long, but I didn't want to bore you with my words (maybe I've done that already?) so here is the gist of it.... My photo installation was inspired by spring 2012 as I saw it for Free People. These are trends that I'm looking out for this season. I included textures, themes, lifestyle and of course product.


For this spring I see a continuation of the 90s grunge trend, which includes studs, nail art, biker boots, and bleached denim. I'm also on the look out for anything Navajo/Native American inspired.... turquoise and sliver jewelry, worn leathers, fringe, feathers (of course), messy curls, and suede. The hobo-hippie look is a Free People staple, so I find it to be more of a lifestyle than a "trend." So... my intention was to interpret the 2012 hippie (yes there's such thing), who I see wearing SUPER-bell bottoms, platform wedges, head/hair wraps/scarves, extra hardware (aka layered jewelry), body jewelry (in the hair, on the shoulders), lots of lace and crochets, and either sporting a knot bun or a braid every day.



No comments:

Post a Comment