Saturday, August 11, 2012

5 Things To Keep In Mind When Moving in With Your Significant Other

Four years... that is practically an eternity for a twenty-something, LA couple in the year 2012. This past weekend we endured our first move together. Its been a fantastic and wonderful doozy-of-an-adventure that is still playing out, and will, for X amount of years.

I don't care how long or little you've been with your SO (Significant Other), when you said "I love you" for the first time or what your marital plans are, moving in together is a big step no matter the back story of a relationship.

I could go on and on about how you need to stay organized during your move, or that you need to prepare 500 lists, or that you need to make sure you "talk things out" to ensure a happy transition.  I could make a list about the best places to shop at bargain prices, or what not to buy at IKEA, or my favorite DIY home designs. Bologna! Just like most things in life that is stuff you SHOULD do, but most of the time don't. My SO and I were no exception to that. In fact, we've probably done the whole thing backwards, upside down and opposite of what we SHOULD have done, but I wouldn't have it any other way. The point is that no couple is like any other. Taking this step, at your pace is what's important.

Enough with the sentimental. Here are 10 bullshit-free things to keep in mind when moving in with your SO for the first time. (CAUTION: These are lessons you can apply to everything in life, not just moving in with your SO. Go figure.)

1. Clean House. (I don't mean physically clean your house. Let's hope you do that in order to move in the first place. I mean mentally clean your mind, body and soul to prepare for a fresh start. Meditate, go out with friends, take a bubble bath, eat an entire carton of ice cream... something to rid the stress and anxious toxins from your body.)

2. Have ZERO expectations. (I personally conjure up outrageous visions and expectations for things that I'm wildly excited about. What can I say? I'm a control freak who wants to live in a perfect world. Don't put that pressure on yourself, or your SO. Its incredibly unfair.)

3. There's no "I" in "team." (Reality check: This move isn't just about YOU.)

4. It doesn't matter where the toothpaste goes. (Put things into perspective. Global warming. Starving countries. War. Animal abuse. My toothpaste? The fact that your SO wants the toothpaste stored on medicine cabinet shelf #1 instead of #2 DOESN'T EFFING MATTER.)

5. Have fun. (Why do we always forget to do this? This is a happy moment for you and your SO. Don't fuck it up by being a Negative Nancy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment